I participate in another Real Estate forum and some of the questions that I see make me wonder if some Realtors are in way over their heads. Here are a few examples:
1. If I do a lease/option contract when do I get paid?
2. As a Sales Associate can I represent a Buyer in a business transaction? (if you have to ask the question, you shouldn’t be doing the deal)
3. The transaction didn’t close on time. Can I file an Ethics complaint against the other Realtor? (my personal favorite)
4. I’m going on my fist listing appointment. Besides the “purchase contract” what other forms do I need?
5. My Broker’s not giving me any leads. Is this illegal?
Now, don’t get me wrong, I am not faulting the Realtors. In fact I am glad they are asking the questions. There are no stupid questions only stupid answers. But this is scary! Where’s the training? What are the Broker’s doing? How can they allow Realtors without the basic knowledge to conduct business, loose on the public? And why do these Realtors have to ask these questions on a forum? Where’s the Broker?
My belief, is that, the general public when contacting a Realtor, should be able to assume, that the Realtor has the knowledge required to conduct business. And that they are able to “protect the public.” After all, that’s what Realtors are supposed to do. It’s scary out there! What say you?